Skip to content
print page header

The University of Iowa Libraries

Guide to the John T. McClintock Slide Collection on the College of Medicine History

Collection Overview

Date Span:
Creator: McClintock, John Thomas (1873-1955)
Extent: .00 .
Collection Number: RG30.0002.008
Repository: University of Iowa Archives
Summary:

Access:

Use:

Acquisition:

Preferred Citation:

Repository: University of Iowa Archives
Address: 100 Main Library
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City, IA 52242
Phone: 319-335-5921
Curator: David McCartney
Email: david-mccartney@uiowa.edu
Website: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/archives

John Thomas McClintock was born on June 7, 1873, in Burlington, Iowa. He received his A.B. degree from Parsons College in 1894 and his M.D. in 1898 from the State University of Iowa. Parsons College awarded him the honorary D.Sc. degree in 1925.

Dr. McClintock served as demonstrator in Pathology and Bacteriology, as well as in Anatomy, at the SUI Department of Medicine (later the College of Medicine) from 1897 to 1901. He was on leave during 1901 to 1902 in order to study at the University of Vienna and the University of Berlin, followed by the University of Leipzig.

Upon his return to SUI, McClintock served as assistant professor of Physiology. He was named full professor in 1903. During 1910 to 1911, he was acting vice-dean of the College of Medicine, and was junior-dean from 1913 to 1933. Henry Spencer Houghton resigned as dean of the College of Medicine in 1933 and the college did not appoint a replacement for two years. During this time, McClintock served as chair of the Interim Administrative Committee, which carried out the duties of dean. McClintock served as acting head of the Physiology Department in 1902, until he was named head in 1904, a position he held until July 1, 1944, when he was succeeded as head of physiology by Dr. Harry M. Hines. McClintock continued to work part-time as professor of Physiology and as Director of the Physiology-Pharmacology Shop until 1953.

McClintock's service spanned the terms of nine SUI presidents, from Charles A. Schaeffer through Virgil M. Hancher. During his career, McClintock established the Museum of Medical History in the Department of Medicine. That museum is currently located in the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. McClintock served as chair of the Council of the Association of American Medical Colleges. He was also chair of the planning committee for a 75th anniversary celebration of the College of Medicine, held in 1945.

McClintock married Beulah George on June 20, 1900, and they had two sons, John Calvin and James Phillips. John T. McClintock died on September 24, 1955.

Browse by Series:
There is no information currently for this Collection Guide.

This collection is indexed under the following subject terms.