Skip to content
print page header

The University of Iowa Libraries

Guide to the Byron James Lambert Photograph Collection

Collection Overview

Date Span: 1930-1939
Creator: Lambert , Byron James (1930-1939)
Extent: .25 linear feet.
Collection Number: RG30.0001.017
Repository: University of Iowa Archives
Summary:

Access: This collection is open for research.

Use: Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

Acquisition: The Byron James Lambert Collection of Photographs was donated to the University of Iowa Archives by Brian Glenister, a professor of geology, in February 1985. Guide posted to the Internet January 2007.

Preferred Citation: Byron James Lambert Photograph Collection, The University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa City, Iowa.

Repository: University of Iowa Archives
Address: 100 Main Library
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City, IA 52242
Phone: 319-335-5921
Curator: David McCartney
Email: david-mccartney@uiowa.edu
Website: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/archives

"It is believed that the photographs were taken during the 1930's by Byron James Lambert (1874-1953), a long-time professor and head of the Department of Civil Engineering at the State University of Iowa. The donor of this collection, Brian Glenister, professor emeritus of geology, speculated so in an undated memorandum accompanying this collection. According to Glenister, J. Leavitt Lambert, a son of Prof. Lambert's, inherited and cared for the photographs following the elder Lambert's death. The younger Lambert was employed by the Department of Geology, where he stored the collection until his death in 1972. The photographs eventually came into Prof. Glenister's possession and were transferred to the University Archives in 1985.

The collection consists of about 150 black and white images depicting various campus scenes, both interior and exterior, as well as construction sites of several notable campus landmarks.

Browse by Series:
Series 1: GENERAL

  • Series 1: GENERAL
  • Box 1:
  • Collection information, including undated memorandum by collection donor Brian Glenister
  • Iowa Memorial Union Footbridge construction
  • Botanical Laboratory construction
  • Currier Hall exterior construction and finished interior
  • Engineering Building; Hydraulic Laboratory Building
  • Fine Arts Building construction and interior
  • Law Commons (later International Center)
  • Iowa Memorial Union interiors, utilities, and reading room
  • Boat House, Power Plant, Quadrangle, Hospital ice machine, Field House, Music Building east wing, utility pipes (one photo includes workers), Water Plant
  • Theater Building construction and completion
  • Psychopathic Hospital
  • Vinton Power Plant (one photo includes workers)
  • Summer home for Dr. Peterson

This collection is indexed under the following subject terms.


Browse:
University of Iowa Audiovisual Materials