Skip to content
print page header

The University of Iowa Libraries

Guide to the Arthur A. Smith Photograph Collection

Collection Overview

Date Span: 1875-1938
Creator: Smith , Arthur A. (1884-1955)
Extent: .50 linear feet.
Collection Number: RG30.0001.016
Repository: University of Iowa Archives
Summary: Photographs of campus buildings.

Alternate Extent Statement: Photographs: Box 1

Access: This collection is open for research.

Use: Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

Acquisition: Guide posted to the Internet January 2007. Biographical note by Denise Anderson in March 2009.

Preferred Citation: Arthur A. Smith Photographs Collection, The University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa City, Iowa.

Repository: University of Iowa Archives
Address: 100 Main Library
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City, IA 52242
Phone: 319-335-5921
Curator: David McCartney
Email: david-mccartney@uiowa.edu
Website: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/archives

Arthur Allen Smith was born August 29, 1884 in Roseville, Illinois. He received his B.Di. in 1904 and M. Di 1905 at the Iowa State Teachers College. He received his B.S. degree at the State University of Iowa in 1915 and the C.E. degree in 1920. As a student at SUI, he was a member of Sigma Xi. He married Floy Graham and the couple had a daughter, Ruthelaine, born in 1915.
 
Smith was working as superintendent of buildings in the Garfield, Iowa, school building in January 1922. He was employed there by the Des Moines School Board to oversee construction of a project, not yet completed, when he and J. M. Fisk of the SUI Buildings and Grounds Department began corresponding regarding Smith joining the staff at the State University of Iowa. He did join the SUI staff later in 1922 as the assistant superintendent of Grounds and Buildings. He was acting superintendent in charge of maintenance from 1932 to 1934 and was named superintendent from 1934 to 1941. Arthur Allen Smith died April 11, 1955.

The Arthur A. Smith Collection includes three albums with photographic prints of campus buildings stapled to pages. Most images have brief captions. These photographs are from the Grounds and Buildings Department and many pre-date the years Smith was employed there, 1922-1941. This collection is useful to researchers interested in the planning and design of the campus during past decades.

Browse by Series:
Series 1: GENERAL

  • Series 1: GENERAL
  • Sub-Series: Three photo albums (About 100 images)
  • "Iowa River Improvement"
  • "Early Campus Scenes"
  • "Terrell Dam - Union - Early Plat Maps"

This collection is indexed under the following subject terms.


Browse:
University of Iowa Audiovisual Materials