Skip to content
print page header

The University of Iowa Libraries

Guide to the Committee on Building Names Records

Collection Overview

Date Span: 1967-2008
Creator: Committee on Building Names (1888-1954)
Extent: 1.50 linear feet.
Collection Number: RG05.0003.046
Repository: University of Iowa Archives
Summary:

Access: This collection is open for research.

Use: Copyright restrictions may apply; please consult Special Collections staff for further information.

Acquisition: The Records of the Committee on Building Names were transferred to the University Archives from the Office of the President as Accession 2009-50. Guide posted to the Internet in July 2009.

Preferred Citation: Committee on Building Names Records, The University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa City, Iowa.

Repository: University of Iowa Archives
Address: 100 Main Library
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City, IA 52242
Phone: 319-335-5921
Curator: David McCartney
Email: david-mccartney@uiowa.edu
Website: http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/sc/archives

The Records of the Committee on Building Names are arranged chronologically, with each folder representing one year of activity of the committee. Documents within each folder include naming requests, reports, correspondence, meeting minutes, policies and policy drafts. The collection provides information on the protocols surrounding the naming of campus facilities, including rooms, plazas and other landmarks, in addition to buildings. It also provides historical information on the naming of particular campus features.
Campus Buildings and Grounds Vertical Files Collection (RG01.0015.002)

Browse by Series:
Series 1: GENERAL

  • Series 1: GENERAL
  • Box 1:
  • Chronological - 1967-1982
  • Box 2:
  • Chronological - 1983-1997
  • Box 3:
  • Chronological - 1998-2008
  • Building Names Committee membership information

This collection is indexed under the following subject terms.


Browse:
University of Iowa Administration