Access: The records are open for research.
Copyright has been transferred to the University of Iowa.
The records (donor no. 176) were donated by the Daughters of Ceres in 1993.
Daughters of Ceres records, Iowa Women's Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa City.
The Daughters of Ceres records measure 5 linear inches and date from 1898 to 1988. They are arranged in three series: Walnut Chapter, Webster Chapter and Miscellaneous. The records document the activities and concerns of this social and charitable club from the turn of the century to the 1970s. Moreover, they illuminate the social and emotional bonds that tied this group of women together throughout the years.
The Walnut Chapter records (1898-1923) consist of an annual program of activities for 1922 to 1923 and two secretary's books (minutes) for 1898 to 1921, with some overlap. The 1898-1921 book contains accounts of dues paid and other club expenses for 1898 to 1914.
The Webster Chapter records (1920-1988) are much more extensive, including four constitutions from different time periods, an almost complete set of secretary's books spanning the years 1920 to 1973, and a ninetieth anniversary memory book with a history of the Webster Chapter and personal reminiscences of members and their families.
The Miscellaneous series (1971, 1978-1979) includes a reprint from the Annals of Iowa about the history of the Martin Flynn Farm from 1845 to 1970. In addition, there is a Polk County Federation of Women's Clubs handbook for 1978 to 1979. The Daughters of Ceres was a member of the Federation and some Daughters served as president over the years.
Lucy Van Voorhis White papers (IWA): This collection contains a letter written by Harriet Wallace Ashby White on December 1, 1911, inviting her to join the Daughters of Ceres. Enclosed with the letter is one Daughter of Ceres chapter's constitution. See Box 1; Correspondence; Incoming; Ashby, Harriet Wallace , 1911-1923.