|Creator:||University of Iowa Department of PE for Women|
|Extent:||37.30 linear feet.|
|Repository:||Iowa Women's Archives|
|Summary:||The department was established in 1924 and was a pioneer in the development of graduate study and professional training. The department existed until 2000 under a variety of names and organizations.|
|View Selected Items Online:||University of Iowa Physical Education for Women|
Alternate Extent Statement: 11 films [F1-F11]
5 videocassettes [V222, V224, V311, V380, and V354]
1 DVD [d0044]
Photographs in boxes 91-96 and map case
Access: The records are open for research.
Use: Copyright to many of the materials is held by the University of Iowa.
Acquisition: The records (donor no. 257) were donated by the Department of Sport, Health, Leisure and Physical Studies in 1995 and subsequent years.
Preferred Citation: University of Iowa Department of Physical Education for Women records, Iowa Women's Archives, The University of Iowa Libraries, Iowa City.
|Repository:||Iowa Women's Archives|
|Address:||100 Main Library
University of Iowa Libraries
Iowa City, IA 52242
In 1900 the Department of Physical Culture and Athletics had only one woman member, an assistant in charge of physical training for women. By 1924 the Department of Physical Education was established with four departments: inter-collegiate athletics, physical education for men, physical education for women, and intramural games. By that year every member of the women's staff was a graduate of a physical education school and a major field of study in Women's Physical Education was established. The women's physical education program became a pioneer in the development of graduate study and professional training. Elizabeth Halsey headed the department from 1924-1955. M.Gladys Scott, who received the first Ph.D. in women's physical education from the University of Iowa in 1937, succeeded Halsey as department chair from 1955-1974. Margaret Fox (1974-1978), N. Peggy Burke (1978-1987), Yvonne (Bonnie Slatton (1987-2000), and Susan Birrell (2000- ) followed in succession as department chairpersons.
The athletic/physical education departments were later reorganized in a variety of configurations including the Department of Physical Education and Dance (1976-1987), Physical Education and Sport Studies (housed within the Division of Physical Education) (1987-1993), the Department of Sport, Health, Leisure and Physical Studies (1993-2000), the Department of Health, Leisure and Sport Studies (2000-2001) and the Department of Health and Sport Studies (2001- ). Physical education is no longer offered as a field of study.
The Women's Athletic Association (WAA), an intramural organization with both an athletic and social focus, was organized in 1911 to "promote a spirit of fair play and sportsmanship among girls." The Association was comprised of various clubs, including Orchesis (dance), Seals (swimming) and others for outing, hockey, canoeing, archery, badminton, tennis, basketball, and handicrafts. The group sponsored tournaments, play days, classes in social dancing, and all-freshmen parties. In 1941, the name of the organization changed to the Women's Recreation Association (WRA). The WAA/WRA provided college women opportunities to participate in sports, either intramural or as a member of a sport club, as there were no varsity sport teams available for women at The University of Iowa until the late 1960s and early 1970s.
Intercollegiate athletics for women at The University of Iowa originated in the Department of Physical Education for Women in the late 1960s and early 1970s and maintained that association until 2000. This relationship stemmed from the philosophy of the women physical educators and the value they placed on education and women-centered and controlled sport.Begin text here:Â» In 1973, Christine Grant was appointed Director of Intercollegiate Athletics for Women, a position she held until her retirement in August 2000. Following Grant's retirement, the women's and men's athletic departments were merged, ending Iowa's tenure as one of the few NCAA Division I schools to maintain a separate department and director of athletics for women.
1924-1955 Elizabeth Halsey
1955-1974 M. Gladys Scott
1974-1978 Margaret Fox
1978-1987 N. Peggy Burke
1987-2000* Yvonne (Bonnie) Slatton
2000- Susan Birrell
1924-1975 Physical Education for Women
1976-1987 Physical Education and Dance
1987-1993 Physical Education and Sport Studies**
1993-2000 Sport, Health, Leisure and Physical Studies
2000-2001 Health, Leisure and Sport Studies
2002- Health and Sport Studies
* The Division of Physical Education was served by several different chairpersons, including Arnold Small, Alicia Brown, and Benjamin Hunnicutt. Bonnie Slatton's leadership began as chair of the Physical Education and Sport Studies Department within this division.
** The Department of Physical Education and Sport Studies was located within the Division of Physical Education. Other departments in this division were Exercise Science, Leisure Studies, and Dance.
Browse by Series:
Series 1: DEPARTMENTAL HISTORY
Series 2: ADMINISTRATIVE CORRESPONDENCE
Series 3: INTERCOLLEGIATE ATHLETICS
Series 4: IOWA CITY FIELD HOCKEY CLUB
Series 5: P.E. MAJOR COUNCIL
Series 6: PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
Series 7: WORLD WAR II
Series 8: ADMINISTRATIVE RECORDS
Series 9: FACILITIES
Series 10: PUBLICATIONS
Series 11: PHOTOGRAPHS
Series 12: NEWSPAPER CLIPPINGS
Series 13: ARTIFACTS
Series 14: FILMS
Series 15: AUDIOVISUAL MATERIALS
This collection is indexed under the following subject terms.